Sunday 24 June 2007

Mapping the way: leadership learning with Crayolas

I don't know about you, but I have always loved Crayolas, felt tips and colour pencils. I've even tried to eat wax crayons once! Please don't give up on your art skills as yet! In case, you don't like the flavour, you could use those crayolas for idea mapping. Ideas are the stuff that leaders eat for breakfast and dinner. Well, for lunch we just chew idea cuds and call it innovation! That's how purple cows are born! As leaders, we are traders and sellers of ideas. Learning to connect them and integrate them is a work of art (pun unintended).

A few years ago, Tony Buzan, the British genius, grabbed my attention. When I first read his work on what he called mindmapping, I was hooked. That's how my mind worked! My own training in Western science and rationality in Jesuit and Protestant private schools/universities had embedded in my mind, the need for structure and linearity. Now for those postmodernists who feel sad for me - don't! - I sing, dance and tell stories, too!! Yet in graduate school, pictures and doodling were often seen as activities für die kinder! Black words on bond paper in Harvard Style outlines in MS Word seemed more suited to the explaining of a thought.

Buzan's software, Novamind , MindjetManager and a host of others, offer quick and easy ways to mind map without being a consummate artist. Although I am a die hard Macintosh user , I am happy that mind mapping is available for both the Macintosh and Windows.

Since Buzan, others have also written and furthered the discussion on this creative way of thinking. Let me introduce you today to Jamie Nast (fanfare plays here!) who has written a handy and practical introduction to get the scoop on Idea Mapping. Jamie is a wonderful and gracious person and I am a fan. She teaches and trains many in a wide variety of areas, but is exceptionally qualified to write on Idea Mapping. I am sure that her book will be a handy resource around the globe for people who truly think differently! Of course, I am working on Jamie to really be different and get a Mac!

Jamie is coming soon to the city of Vancouver. If you live in the area, consider standing in line for Jamie's seminar. No, I don't sell tickets!! Contact Jamie's organization for the details. Her clients include The Ford Motor Co., GM, General Physics, Institute of Management Accountants, L.L.Bean, Macomb Intermediate School District, MARC Advertising, Matrix Imaging, Mayo Clinic! Don't you think you should be there?

No, Jamie is not related, nor does she bribe me with Lattes! The issue is that if you lead or coach or even have the most prestigious title of being a teacher, her work may be useful to brainstorming and visioning with your clients/kiddos! (same thing!) Think without the box,
just use the crayolas! Throw the box away! It's recyclable, I think!

As you can see I am a fan of Jamie Nast, but that does not allow you to call me a NASTie! Have fun with the Crayolas!


Ta!

BE prepared to hear about the secrets of balloons for leadership and strategic planning
soon!


2 comments:

Jamie Nast said...

Jonathan,

Thank you for such a creative and kind post!

Jonathan said...

Ah! Thank you Rodrigo for your nice words in Portugese!